When it was built in 1898, it was called Grand Hotel Plinius. The project was overseen by engineer Giuseppe Salvioni, while Federico Frigerio, then a young Milanese architect, designed the sumptuous decorations on the top floor.
A Belle Epoque-style palace overlooking the lake with the historic Pianella wing next to it, with 32 rooms that have been completely redesigned in a modern key. The Conference Centre of the Palace Hotel quickly became the reference point for conference activities and events in Italy. Since 2005 the hotel has been managed by the Villa d'Este group.